Sunday, May 15, 2011

The panorama composition

The panorama composition has long been a favorite. Both horizontal and vertical panels are common in my studio. It lends itself to the vast expanses of sky and mountain shapes that dominate the Pacific North West I call home. The long and narrow is often considered a contemporary look in the art and design world. I just find it the only way to capture what I am trying to say.

The painting below is oil on panel 13 inches x 42 inches depicting  a day break on top of the Trinity Mountains. I snuggled down in my sleeping bag on that cool summer morning and watched in aw as nature provided the light show of a life time. The water droplets were of uniform size with just the right clouds in just the right relationship to the sun producing colors by way of an incandescent reaction.

Needless to say once in a life time if you’re lucky, don’t forget to take your camera to bed with you.

Len Sodenkamp
Original art, prints and cards available at www.len-sodenkamp.artistwebsites.com

No comments: