Sunday, July 24, 2011

The Colors of a Summer Garden

The colors of a summer garden takes me back to my childhood growing up with parents who loved their yard and gardens. My mother always planted colorful boarder flowers along the walkway edges and in beds circling the giant box elder trees. Caught up in this addictive activity at a very young age I could be seen pushing the old one kid powered lawn mower. The expectation of 25 cents was my motive but the real reward was how beautiful the summer yard always looked.

My painting is called: That Summer Day. The effort was to depict the creative work that goes into such a planed spring planting. Attempting to duplicate such a botanical feast with oil paint in this artist’s opinion could only come close by pushing the color envelope. It is oil on panel 36 inch x 24 inch painted on location plein air. By working fast, wet into wet; with lots of paint mixed on a large glass palette, a one inch wide flat brush and palette knife; I believe I may have caught a glimpse of That Summer Day.


No comments: