Friday, September 2, 2011

Ten Years Ago Idaho

1966 at age eighteen just out of high school I made a bold move to beautiful but often soggy Seattle. Twenty one years later I was very happy to be living in shall I say somewhat dryer Idaho? Another twenty three years swiftly passed and today my love of painting Idaho can be found hanging on more then a few walls. I decided to take a nostalgic look back ten years and so selected this panoramic landscape of a spring morning painted in 2001. It typifies the volcanic formations of an amazing area appropriately named; The Magic Valley. In this region of Idaho the meandering Snake River flows through deep wide canyons and lush valleys. I often use the long narrow format because it helps accentuate vastness. From this vantage point a viewer might get the impression of looking at a desolate deserted land. Perhaps our best kept secrete.

I do find it helpful to look back at my older works as it provides insight for the creative journey forward. At times when feeling unmotivated a little reminiscing can be just the thing to rekindle a creative spark.

Happy reminiscing,

Len Sodenkamp
www.sodenkampart.com



Acrylic on panel 48 inches x 12 inches by Len Sodenkamp
(part of the artist’s private collection)


No comments: