Monday, October 10, 2011

Food for thought

Plein air oil on framed panel 24 x 40 inches by Len Sodenkamp

The top image is a plein air study from a few weeks ago wile on location in the Saw Tooth Mountains of Idaho. Deeply influenced by my surrounding on a beautiful warm fall afternoon I was impressed to paint all that was before me. It was like a cornucopia of delicious foods and I wanted to eat every thing in sight. I thought by subordinating the foreground it might allow the viewer to move more easily into those amazing light filled peaks off in the distance. Was I successful?


The bottom image is a crop taken from the same painting removing the foreground information. Simplification of subject mater especially when painting plein air can sometimes produce powerful impressions. My point being; which painting makes the strongest statement?
Knowing how much information to depict and when to stop painting is always a big?

Happy painting,

Len Sodenkamp

No comments: