Sunday, March 6, 2011

Simplified Palette, warm and cool grays on a toned panel



The two illustrations above help to show how to create amazing paintings with very simple palette on a toned panel implementing neutral/natural looking grays. By injecting pure pigment to grater or lesser degrees into those grays along with the introduction of white provides the painter with unlimited possibilities.  I am particularly fond of pigments made from the iron oxide group such as yellow ocher and burnt sienna. Combining these with cobalt blue to create wonderful neutral/natural warm and cool grays. Toning your panel or canvas with pure pigment using paper towel as your brush and a small amount of turpentine lays the foundation for your painting. (See Illustrations above) This simple method also provides the painter with options not available in my opinion by any other means.  My panels are very simple, made from tempered hard board, primed with three coats of any good quality interior/exterior flat white latex paint. You can also use oil based primers as well. I prefer the latex for its fast drying and low odor aspects. Another reason I like the iron oxides family of pigments, they are less expensive and non toxic.

Happy painting,
Len Sodenkamp
http://www.sodenkampart.com/ 
Prints and cards avialible at http://www.len-sodenkamp.artistwebsites.com/ 

2 comments:

greggart said...

Nice post Len. Have you been toning a lot lately? I haven't done a lot but am doing more then in previous years.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the kind comment Gregg,

Actually I work part time four days a week and paint down at the Gaia Gallery and Studio in Eagle one day a week. If your ever in the area I am there assisting customers and painting in my studio from 10 am to 5pm every Friday. I am able to knock out one or two paintings a week that way.