Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Painting in pairs



Last week at the studio I decided to have some fun and just attack the panel with rich expressive colors. I found myself thinking about my favorite elements....... mountains, water, and a fast moving sky. The top image was actually my favorite and happened to be the second one of the pair, the bottom being the first painting of the pair. I didn’t necessarily plan to paint a pair that day but the first painting just seamed to explode onto my panel and still having ample time and plenty of paint on the palette I went for the second one. I find most often that the second painting not only happens even faster then the first but displays a more expressive quality. Hard to put into words but it’s like some one else was painting and I was just observing. Strange as that sounds, it best describes how I feel about it especially now sitting here typing out this blog. So my reason for this blog is to share ideas with anyone reading not just other painters but anyone involved with the creative process. In a world with such seemingly difficult stresses let us not forget the importance of the creative mind. We mustn’t get so self absorbed in how much a gallon of gas costs that we forget who we are. We are all part of the creative mind and as such it is our birth right to create from our thoughts to see and express each in our own way what a beautiful place the world is.

Happy creating,

Len Sodenkamp
Original art, art prints and cards at www.len-sodenkamp.artistwebsites.com

No comments: