Saturday, April 2, 2011

The time question?

Moab Utah, 24 x 48 oil on panel by Len Sodenkamp

The time question?

I get asked the time question a lot, how long did it take you to paint that? My reply varies but usually I respond with its more important for me as an artist to know when a painting is finished then how long it took to paint it. But that’s not what they want to hear so I tell them the truth and usually it’s not what they expect. Some how time has much to do with perceived value. Perhaps this is why many successful painters are dead; they simply ran out of valuable time.

Yesterday as I was straitening up my studio a well dressed middle aged professional looking gentleman stopped in and kindly commented on a painting I had just finished (Moab Utah 24 x 48 oil on panel)

He then asked the time question, four hours I said, including several coffee breaks and a sandwich. He was silent for a moment and asked what does a painting like that cost. $1200.00 at this size and his response was WOW that’s $300.00 per hour I'm an attorney and I don’t make that. I said 45 years to learn what I know; make me an offer! As he began to back peddle I made mention of the forty other paintings pointing to the closet in the corner and I can’t remember how many more I have in storage.

My point being that in a perfect world I would sell every painting every day and be doing what I love. But that’s not how it works, especially these days. I went on to make the statement that I would be elated to sell  thirty or fourty paintings per year but like many artists these days I work a part time job.  I am very grateful that I can work part time because it still allows me quality time every week to paint.  If I couldn’t paint I would just as soon not be breathing. Shocking as that sounds its true and if you put a hundred artists in a room the majority would agree with my statement.

I paint because it’s my oxygen,

So I will continue to breath life into my paintings until my time runs out, sold or not.

Happy painting,

Len Sodenkamp
www.sodenkampart.com and www.len-sodenkamp.artistwebsites.com

1 comment:

greggart said...

Great Post Len. I have found myself in that same position several times. It's funny how people are especially here in Idaho. I don't think artists are respected as much as in other areas. I think people believe it's "nice" to have art but nobody wants to "pay" for art. They would rather spend $1800 on a HD TV or $2500 on a motor bike or $4500 for a hunting trip. Anyway, I find it intersting how we always find the money for things we value. By the way nice painting I really like your southwest stuff. Take care my friend.

Gregg