Saturday, April 9, 2011

PUSHING THE COLOR

Studio painting south rim Grand Canyon 24 x 48 oil on panel (titled ham and cheese)

Pushing the color,

Last week I was inspired to paint a view taken from around Moab Utah. This week I decided I would remain in the south west and revisit the Grand Canyon. As I scanned through fifty or more images I was drawn to this one. I remember setting up on that cold clear spring morning waiting in the dark for that glorious moment when the sun would crest over the rim. My camera was set ready to capture shots as I fumbled with stiff oil on a glass pallet already forming ice on its edges. A tour bus pulled up and a large group of tourists poured out to snap photos and then off they went. I have posted my photo as well as the study from that morning. I usually don’t title my work but this one I did because I was thinking at the time that looks like a block of cheese and a smoked ham. Maybe I was just hungry? Any way as you can see I really pushed the color envelope.  This is especially obvious when looking at the photo and that’s why I went more with the study pallet. There is a fleeting moment however when these colors are present and you have to seek them out with your minds eye. I find it fitting that this place be rendered using lots of color because it is imposable to capture it with pigment; so I say push the color to make up for it. Also it is obvious that I picked only a tiny section of the image to work on. It is amazing how much information remained and I still felt overwhelmed wile attempting to capture this micro speck of the Grand Canyon.

Happy painting,

Len Sodenkamp

Prints and cards available at the following link www.len-sodenkamp.artistwebsites.com

                                                  8 x 10 plein air oil on panel


No comments: